The National Business Initiative (NBI) fully supports the national effort to limit the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in South Africa. We stand behind the message delivered by President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday, 15 March 2020. We also entirely support organised business in its commitment to support the Government at this critical time.
To confirm, there have been no suspected cases within the NBI.
In light of the above, the NBI has implemented the following measures in order to practice social distancing and to limit the spread of COVID-19 amongst our staff, members and the broader community:
- We have postponed our Thought Leadership Dialogues and Events; while simultaneously ascertaining which we can run remotely. This will be communicated in due course.
- NBI staff members will, as far as possible, be working remotely.
- We have cancelled all international travel; and all non-essential local travel.
- We will be in continuous contact and remain available through remote meeting facilities, phone and email with our members and stakeholders.
- We will send regular communication updates to inform our members and stakeholders of ongoing developments.
- We will stay in contact with our members and stakeholders through our social media platforms, and would encourage our members and stakeholders to continue to engage with us on these platforms.
- We are currently exploring ways in which the NBI can play a role in sharing information and to support collective action business efforts to fight the spread of the virus.
Connecting and engaging with our members, partners and other stakeholders and undertaking impactful collective action is a key part of our ethos. We will endeavour to find ways to maintain this under the current circumstances, and we are confident that we will continue to deliver value to you during this unprecedented time. While Corona is a significant impediment to our economy we cannot lose sight of the long term risks that remain and that will be exacerbated by this crisis. The NBI will therefore intensify our efforts over the next few weeks and ensure that we keep our members and stakeholders included in our processes via virtual events and meetings.
We are committed to doing whatever we can to continue to work for socio-economic transformation and inclusive economic growth and will work alongside our members and organised business to combat this virus and stop its spread, whilst at the same time continuing to deliver on our mandate.
Lastly, we would like to extend our gratitude and appreciation to our members for their on-going support and involvement at this time.