- This event has passed.
Addressing Economic Inclusion through Skills Development and Youth Employability in the Township Economy
Wednesday, 25 November 2020 14:00 to 16:00
The National Business Initiative (NBI) manages the Installation, Repair and Maintenance (IRM)Initiative, a broad partnership between TVET Colleges, industry and Government to expand artisanal skills development and employment across the broad industrial economy. The IRM Initiative forms part of the Presidential Jobs Summit Framework Agreement and has two broad objectives:
- Unlock opportunities in IRM enterprises across the formal and informal/Township Economy for the training and employment of young people
- Create an enabling environment for the provision of recognised IRM skills for workers, unemployed and new entrants in IRM enterprises
The IRM Initiative recognises that youth unemployment will not be solved through labour absorption in the formal sector alone, and that township youth in particular face significant barriers in accessing and sustaining employment opportunities. Therefore, it is critical to support and develop township enterprises so as to grow economic activity and unlock the demand for skills and jobs.
We invite you to attend an online Thought Leadership Dialogue on Wednesday, 25 November 2020 from 14:00 to 16:00.
The Dialogue seeks to:
- Present the strategic vision and implementation plan for the IRM Township Economy Programme;
- Interrogate the potential of the IRM Initiative for unlocking jobs for young people in the Township Economy through enterprise development, skills development and increased market linkages;
- Explore how companies in the formal sector can collaborate and participate in this programme and the benefits and impact thereof for participating companies in terms of ESD and SED strategies; and
- Critically reflect on the role public TVET colleges can play in providing the necessary skills for young people to enter into employment and entrepreneurship in the Township Economy context.
We look forward to your attendance. If you feel you are not the correct person to attend, kindly forward this invite to the appropriate person in your organisation.
- Wednesday, 25 November 2020
- 14:00 to 16:00
- Event Category:
- Skills Development
- Via Microsoft Teams
To RSVP for all NBI Events, please contact Nombulelo Ndaba