- This event has passed.
NBI Online Event: ACA SA – Innovative collaborations to drive our climate-smart economic recovery
Thursday, 13 August 2020 11:30 to 15:00
Countries globally are facing the unprecedented challenge of stimulating their economies in the short-and medium-term in response to COVID-19. For a robust economic recovery, it is crucial that they ensure their economies are competitive and sustainable in the long-term. This event aims to build the capacity of city representatives as well as private sector stakeholders to engage on what a post-COVID green economic recovery could look like for South Africa and to share insight into what different stakeholders are doing in the space.
An increased ratio of debt to GDP along with a stagnant economy and the impact of COVID-19 have exacerbated socio-economic challenges of inequality, poverty, and unemployment in South Africa. This leaves South African business, communities and municipalities struggling. To secure finance for immediate relief stimulus and long-term investment at an affordable price, South Africa must demonstrate that we are working to address various forms of climate risk, such as physical and transition risk. We are poised at a unique moment for South Africa to attract investment and financial relief packages that can stimulate a just transition towards a net zero carbon, socially equal, climate-resilient, thriving and sustainable economy.
We invite you to join the Alliances for Climate Action South Africa (a partnership Initiative convened by C40, NBI and WWF), as well as the South African Local Government Association (SALGA), to unpack:
- Why a post-COVID economic recovery plan for the country needs to be climate smart to ensure South Africa’s long-term economic wellbeing.
- How local governments are thinking about post-COVID economic stimulus.
- The work cities are doing to update their Climate Action Plans aligned to net zero emissions targets by 2050.
- How the private sector can collaborate at sector level and with local government, through the Alliances for Climate Action South Africa (ACA SA), to unlock low-carbon and climate-resilient opportunities for collaboration and investment.
City and business participants in the ACA SA are standing up for a net carbon neutral economy by 2050, taking their own action to get there, and collaborating to do more than they could alone, in order to unlock opportunities to transition our economy. This is one of several Alliances in countries around the world www.alliancesforclimateaction.org.
If you would like to attend this session, please RSVP here.
- Thursday, 13 August 2020
11:30 to 15:00
- Event Category:
- Environmental Sustainability
- Via Zoom
To RSVP please contact Jo-Anne Stanford