- This event has passed.
Developing Decarbonisation Pathways for Industry to Inform a Just Transition in South Africa Aligned to Net Zero by 2050
Wednesday, 19 May 2021 14:00 to 17:30
Partnerships between government and business are crucial to build solutions that meet global, national, sectoral and corporate-level climate change commitments. Global industry is critically appraising future options and transformation needs and an increasing number of corporations are proposing their own net zero targets and plans.
The NBI and IDDRI are working to support individual businesses and sectors in exploring what deep decarbonisation pathways could look like for heavy emitting industries and value chains in South Africa and globally. As part of our research and engagement, we are facilitating a South Africa-EU dialogue on long-term industrial pathways in collaboration with business and policymakers.
This event is the first in a series of engagements that will form part of the South Africa-EU dialogue on just industrial transitions. The series aims to promote constructive discussions about decarbonisation pathways, investment opportunities and policy-related enablers for effective transitions from a business perspective.
This first dialogue, to be held on the 19th May, will begin with a plenary session for the South African and EU policy and decision- makers to frame technical decarbinisation pathways for a Just Transition to a carbon neutral economy and the role industry and international cooperation are expected to play.
Key speakers include:
- Ms. Joanne Yawitch, CEO NBI
- Dr. Riina Kionka, EU Ambassador to the Republic of South Africa
- Ms. Nomfundo Tshabalala, Director-General of the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment
- Dr. Chrispian Olver, Executive Director Presidential Climate Change Coordination Commission
- Mr. Sébastien Treyer, Executive Director of IDDRI
We will then have the opportunity to unpack concrete challenges, enablers across value chains and emerging opportunities for collaboration between South Africa and the EU, specifically for steel. We will also take a deep dive into understanding what examples of South African and European private sector-driven decarbonisation pathways look like for specific industries including chemicals (incl. petrochemicals) and cement as part of a Just Transition.
Each sector-level breakout session will include the following:
- Sector decarbonisation pathway in South Africa
- Sector decarbonisation pathway in Europe
- SA & EU Business facilitated Q&A session on international value chains and trade, technology development and cooperation and country-wide visions implication
- Facilitated discussion on bilateral collaboration opportunities, identification of opportunities for investment, foster knowledge/ solution exchange and identify key enabling policy options
The NBI and IDDRI invite you to participate in this interactive session and knowledge sharing between South African and EU experts.
Please click here to register for this Zoom event.
- Wednesday, 19 May 2021
14:00 to 17:30
- Event Category:
- Environmental Sustainability
- Via Zoom
To RSVP for all NBI Events, please contact Nombulelo Ndaba